I can’t believe I’ve only been doing this for 14 days….it feels like it’s been months!
Things have been going pretty good for the last week – the intense detox pain went away (thank GOD!). My energy levels have increased a little bit. I had a few days of very high energy (days 10 & 11) and it felt great. However, it has decreased again. I’m hoping that that was preview of what it will be like as I continue to heal.
Another thing that I’ve had to start doing is enemas. It’s not easy for me to just put that out to the world, but I know it might help encourage someone to do it so there it is. Constipation is a very common issue on the intro part of the diet because you’re really not eating a lot of fiber. The enemas have helped tremendously!
Around Day 12, I started getting very bloated…seriously looking like I could be 4 months pregnant. Ugh! This is a common symptom for me… something I’ve been living with for a while. It went down a lot for the first 11 days of the diet, but is back again with a vengeance. I started doing some research and I think that I might have low stomach acid. Dr. Natasha recommends that gaps patients take Hydrochloric Acid as people with compromised guts usually do not produce enough stomach acid, but I chose to not get it before starting the diet (no particular reason…just didn’t do it). But I can definitely relate to a lot of the symptoms of low stomach acid, so I decided to purchase some and give it a try. It should arrive today and I’m anxious to get started and see if it helps this bloating.
Foods I’ve Introduced Successfully This Week:
- mashed avocado
- soaked and dehydrated walnuts
- honey (just a few teaspoons a day in my decaf coffee or tea)
- nut flour muffins (almond flour, eggs, cooked butternut squash and raw zucchini) – DELISH. I seriously feel like I’m eating cake lol.
- about 4-5 big bites of kimchi each day.
Foods I’m Going To Introduce This Week:
- mexican sauerkraut that I made at home
- homemade dill pickles
- homemade water kefir (can’t wait to drink this! I’ve missed the bubbles of soda water SO MUCH)
- scrambled eggs
I’m pretty much right in line with Cara’s 30 Day ebook “What Can I Eat Now” and about to start on Stage 4. This means that I should ideally only have a few more weeks left on intro…yay! Then I’ll start slowly transitioning in to the full GAPS diet.
Here are some great benefits and improvements I’ve noticed so far:
- Weight loss of about 6-7lbs in 14 days.
- Less mood swings– feeling very calm and even.
- Sleeping really well.
- Usually wake up feeling very well rested and am able to get right out of bed. Not every single morning, but definitely most mornings which is more than before!
- My skin looks really nice and clear (probably cuz of no sugar and dairy…)
- I was having less bloating, but now it’s come back. Sooo… ya.
- My back hasn’t been hurting as much! Before going on GAPS I was having some pretty bad chronic low back pain. That has very slowly been decreasing. I’m not saying it’s completely gone, but I definitely notice a difference. I did a pretty challenging 45 minute yoga workout the other day, and usually my back would be killing me later that day and in to the next, but it didn’t! Very exciting. This is probably due to a lessening of overall inflammation in my body.
Overall, I think that I’m having success with the diet and am excited to see how it progresses. I’m trying to move slowly through the stages to make sure I don’t rush the healing process. It definitely gets easier as the days go by and I look forward to seeing how I feel at the end of the month.
Ok folks, that’s all for now. Have a great day and I’ll be writing again soon! ❤